Legal Questions

Is embalming required?
In Pennsylvania, embalming is not required by law except in certain cases.

Must I buy an "outside container," such as a crypt or vault?
Pennsylvania law does not require an "outside container". However, most cemeteries require that one is used. We provide "outside containers" at many price levels.

What is a "Statement of Goods and Services Selected"?
This is a form that must be completed by a licensed funeral director and signed by the person responsible for making the arrangements and payment of the expenses.

Is an urn or an urn vault required?
No, unless a cemetery requires one or the other. We can provide quality urns and urn vaults at reasonable prices.

Is embalming required for cremation?
Not in Pennsylvania except for certain situations.

A salesman showed me caskets, vaults, and a preneed payment schedule. What should I do?
Proceed with caution.

Do I have to use a Funeral Director?

In Pennsylvania, as in most all states, only a licensed Funeral Director can make arrangements for funeral services and disposition. This includes arrangements for cremation.

Do cremated remains have to be buried?

In Pennsylvania cremated remains do not have to be buried. However, some religions such as Roman Catholics do require that cremated remains are to be buried in a grave or entombed in a mausoleum.

What is a GPL?
A General Price List is required to be given to every person before any arrangements or pre-arrangements are discussed. Insist on taking (and keeping) one.

How do I get a death certificate for a relative who has passed away?
Death certificates are issued through the Department of Vital Statistics. To have an application sent to you call 1-877-PA-HEALTH or write to Pennsylvania Department of Health, Division of Vital Records, P.O. Box 1528, New Castle, PA 16103-1528..

Site Designed and Maintained by DiAndrea Media, Inc.